Thursday, July 03, 2008

Marshall and the Sharks

Have lost track of the days as there is one perfect day after another here on Grand Cayman.

Yesterday, I rounded a coral reef and there on the sand below was a huge nurse shark. Immediately, I put the video camera on it. As everyone in the guided group sort of crowded around to see, the shark suddenly started off the bottom, moving up towards me! Don't know if you ever had a shark staring at you, but I was very unnerved. Unnerved, heck, I think the water turned yellow around me. I took off towards the Dive Master as I figured if he wasn't running, everything was okay. Fortunately, the shark did a 180 and took off in the other direction, around the coral and gone. I know everyone thought I was a big wuss back on the boat, one lady rubbed it in and said that she wanted to kiss it, but you know what, I don't care!

Today, we were on another reef, rounded a corner, and there was another big nurse shark on the bottom. This time no one crowded around and he/she stayed on the bottom. I put the video camera on him and moved from back of shark to front of shark, full 180 view. Then, he lifted up and moved off, not in my direction though. Frightening and exhilarating at the same time.

The hd video will be posted on my blog when I get back and have time to edit it down. The perfect diving conditions are indescribable as it seems like you are diving in a tropical fish aquarium.

Tomorrow, I found a dive buddy and we are going shore diving at Eden Rock near Georgetown. Saturday we fly home.

Have a happy 4th of July. God bless all of you and God bless the USA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have had a shark stare at me - a Great White!! Through a cage, however. Also, a ragged tooth shark in the shark tank in Capetown. We MUST get together and share pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

NIce photos, Marshall. We've just returned from our FL vacation, too.
I hear that, while nurse sharks are normally docile, they are at the top of the "attacks against humans" list. This is partially due, reportedly, that we think of them as unassuming and, therefore, some divers get too close, may 'mess' with them, etc. Not that YOU did, but just a general comment.

I saw my first (I think) nurse shark on a dive in the Atlantic just a few days ago....impressive!