Friday, July 15, 2011

Final Reef Dive in Fort Lauderdale

All good things must come to an end. I guess I shouldn't say that. Vacations never end, they just change locations. Or, something like that. Anyway, this was the last dive that I got in and it was a reef dive. I will start out with the last first because it was the best of all the dives.

Huge Sea Turtle. I chased this sea turtle for quite some time. As you will see in the video, I was holding the dive flag when he first showed up, so I was bobbing up and down with the flag in the waves for the first minute. I think Pastor Mike or Michelle took the flag about a minute or so into the video, I really don't know who as all I could see was this huge sea turtle. After that, the video settles down to my usual steadiness. It was a big as a coffee table and very old as it had barnacles on its back.


Back to the beginning, though. When we first got to depth, I shined my light under this coral and found this huge lobster




This was not good. This is a lion fish. They are invading everywhere. I've read they are vicious, will attack and eat anything, and chew up the coral. Diving groups organize lion fish kill events, but you must know how to do this and be careful as their spikes contain deadly poison. I've read they are good eating, though.



Just a nice shot of a fishflow


And, another big lobster


Finally, a big angel fish grazing

No comments: